We’ve had several new racers reach out to our AKRA team in recent weeks with questions regarding the upcoming June 9-11 AKRA American Sprint Cup Series “Northern Tour” Round 2 presented by Boon & Sons event at Genesee Valley Kart Club in Avon, NY.
Click here for AKRA Avon online pre-registration.
Here’s a list of informational items that will help keep you straight if you’re planning on joining us at the historic Avon kart track!
1. The spec tire for all 4-cycle classes, Yamaha Cadet, Yamaha Junior, TaG Cadet Unrestricted and 2-Cycle Rookie is the Vega VAH Red. TaG Junior, TaG Senior and TaG Masters utilize the AKRA limited open tire policy which can be found on the Class Structure page of the AKRAsprint.com website. Vega tires can be ordered at TSRacing.com.
2. Parking will be available Thursday, June 8, from 4 to 7pm. A GVKC representative will be on hand to help with reserved parking for those wishing to arrive to the track on Thursday. Grid area parking and parking immediately past grid exit is considered reserved parking only. Free parking will be available further away from grid exit, parallel to the tree line in the right area of the photo.
3. Gates will open at 7am Friday, June 9, with pre-tech and registration opening shortly after 7. Group practice will run from 11am to 6pm. The Friday practice fee is $55.00 pre-entry and $75.00 at the track. Practice sessions will be 10 minutes in length and at least five full rounds of practice are expected Friday.
3A. You may practice on any brand of tire Friday that you wish.
4. Gates will open at 7am both Saturday and Sunday. Practice will begin at 10am both race days due to town restrictions prohibiting on-track activity before 10am. A mandatory Drivers Meeting will be scheduled for 9:15am Saturday.
4A. Two rounds of practice Saturday morning. Five-minute sessions.
4B. One round of practice Sunday morning. Five-minute session.
4C. You may scuff your new Vega VAH (Red) tires in either Saturday morning practice session; or you may wait until qualifying to go out on your Vega VAH slicks.
5. Your Vega VAH tires will be marked as you exit the track during Saturday morning qualifying. These must be the tires you compete with for the remainder of the AKRA weekend program, excluding an instance that rain tires are needed.
6. The spec rain tire is the Vega W5.
7. Vega VAH and W5 tires will be available at the track for purchase.
8. Both Saturday and Sunday’s racing programs will consist of one round of qualifying (5 minute qualifying session), one round of heats and one round of features for each class. Heat and feature lap lengths will be announced at the Saturday morning Drivers Meeting.
If you have any questions regarding the AKRA sprint program not found in this press release, feel free to contact Bill McCutcheon or Keith Shampine. We’re looking forward to seeing everyone next weekend in Avon!